Why Perspective Matters: Understanding the Importance of Different Viewpoints
What is perspective, and why is it important?
Perspective is the way we view and interpret the world around us. It shapes our thoughts, emotions, and actions and can greatly impact our overall wellbeing. By learning to shift our perspective, we can gain new insights and find creative solutions to life’s challenges.
In this article, we’ll explore the importance of perspective and how it can help us navigate through difficult times.
‘I think there’s a danger that we get caught up very much in the fire fighting. When we don’t have enough resilience to be able to stand back from something and put it in perspective’.Client Feedback – Resilience Dynamic
Highly resilient people always seek different perspectives; this helps them avoid being trapped by any patterned ways of thinking, doing, or being.
How can you create the space to get perspective? Connect with how to ‘be’ more. ‘Being Present’ is one of the top three enablers of your resilience.
Which of these ‘Being Present’ behaviours do you do already, and which do you want to do more of?
- Taking a moment out
- Counting to ten before responding
- Going for a walk to clear your head
- Watching a sunset or sunrise – or enjoying a similar beautiful moment in nature
- Becoming kinder to yourself in the moment, no matter what your thoughts are
- Doing that hobby or sport that allows you to cut off from everything else
- Yoga, Pilates or Meditation, Mindfulness
The second step is to consider the ‘conditions’ you need to get perspective. There are four key drivers:
- Your Energy: How much energy have you got in your tank? If this is too low, forget trying to do anything else other than topping the energy up.
- Your Curiosity: What would be most interesting for you to discover about this whole situation?
- The Time available: Nothing will change unless you give yourself some time and space to notice for real what is going on
- Your commitment to doing well/doing right in this situation: How much does it matter – to you? – to others? Seeking perspective is a fab way to get out of the fire-fighting trap
The Role of Perspective in Personal Growth and Self-awareness
Perspective plays a crucial role in resilience, growth and self-awareness. When you can step outside of your our own experiences and see things from a different point of view, you can better understand yourself and your place in the world.
This can help you identify personal strengths and weaknesses, as well as your biases and blind spots. By recognising these things, you can work to improve yourself and become more well-rounded individual.
Finally, by understanding different perspectives, you can become more empathetic and compassionate towards others, which can lead to stronger relationships and a more fulfilling life. Let’s face it, that’s what we are all looking for!
Let us know how you get on with ‘being present’ and creating the conditions for different perspectives. Give it a go!
Follow Jenny on LinkedIn for more of her thoughts, resilience research, and ideas.